Brief History of Euclid High Schools
In 1868, the first high school was organized in Euclid Township. Classes were held in a School Street building. There were six students in the class, with the teacher also acting as principal and superintendent.
The first high school building was built on North Street in 1894. Forty-five were enrolled in the school. The first commencement was held on May 28, 1897, with six graduates receiving diplomas. (There were six graduates...and eleven men on the Board of Education.) That year there were 1,439 cases of tardiness reported and 87 cases of whipping, including five girls.
Central and Shore Schools were built in 1913. Of 36 who bid on the job, the lowest bidder received $85,000 for the construction of both schools. Thus was born a healthy rivalry that continued to excite people all over town for many years. The rivalry was a challenge to each school. At the time, only a few rooms were occupied by high school classes. Although classes were mixed at Shore High, the boys had to use the Bliss Road (East 222nd Street) entrance, while the girls were obliged to enter from Babbitt Road.
A whole new era of high school environment started with the building of a single Euclid high school in 1949. Euclid Senior High School opened with an enrollment of 1,850 in grades 10 through 12. A new history of Euclid public high school experience was born. Peak enrollment in the top three grades was reached between 1965-75 when almost 3,000 students were enrolled.
In 2004, the high school underwent a transformation into six small schools with the help of a grant from the KnowledgeWorks Foundation. Each school has approximately 350 students, a principal, and a counselor. There is also a counselor who specializes in Career Technical and Post Secondary education serving all schools.
Euclid high schools have contributed to local, national and international offerings in music, art, sports and in the areas of science, business, politics and education, as well as in general entries into the work force of America.